Job Description and Position Announcement
MassVOTE, in collaboration with Nonprofit VOTE, is hiring three enthusiastic part-time canvassers to help support outreach and tabling efforts on site at local nonprofit organizations in Boston, Brockton, Worcester, Lowell, and Lawrence. Canvassers will be responsible for working within diverse communities to collect voter registrations and/or free drawing tickets, as part of a short-term Voter Registration Experiment (VRE). This position is a $15/hr, part-time, temporary contract position from August 5 – October 5, 2015.
MassVOTE is one of five state partners participating in the project. The goal of the VRE is to test the effectiveness of on-site voter registration by Nonprofit VOTE and its partners.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Voter registration and/or collection of free drawing tickets in the waiting room or lobby of local nonprofit organizations.
● Enthusiastically engaging diverse communities, and remaining positive, assertive, and confident.
● Ensuring that voter registrations and/or raffle information are accurately recorded and documented.
● Responding to supervision and feedback during the course of the project when necessary, in order to ensure that activities are running smoothly.
● Remaining nonpartisan in all activities, not supporting any candidates or political parties.
● Following state rules for filling out a voter registration forms.
● Internet access required for reporting results following each shift.
DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
● Strong commitment to civic engagement and empowerment of underrepresented communities.
● Strong collaboration skills, and a desire to work as part of a team and respond to the needs of the team.
● Experience or training in voter registration preferred, but not required.
● Experience working with diverse communities, in particular, communities of color and low-income communities.
● Ability to work independently with broad guidance, and a self-starter.
● Good communication skills.
● Ability to stay on task and problem solve.
● Enjoys meeting and interacting with new people.
● Experience with data entry/databasing
● Bilingual English/Spanish candidates especially urged to apply.
Please e-mail a brief cover letter and resume to Sara Brady at firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP. Canvassers will be hired by August 1st.