To register to vote in this state, you must be:

  1. Currently living in Massachusetts. No length of stay required.
  2. A U.S. citizen.
  3. You must be at least 16 years old to register to vote.

To register to vote you must:

  1. Fill out a registration card. Mail it to your town or city clerk/election department.
  2. You may also register in person at your town hall or city election department. Get a card from a local non-profit, election clerk or library.
  3. Go to the website of the MA Secretary of State to print out a registration form.

Registration cards must be postmarked or delivered 20 days before an election in Massachusetts.

No. Your registration is valid unless you:

  1. Change your address
  2. Change your name
  3. Did not vote in two consecutive State Elections and have moved. State elections are held in every even year — 2012, 2014, 2016, etc.

If you move, make sure to re-register at your new address by filling out another registration card in your city/town.

Yes. Register at your new address by filling out a registration card and mailing it to your local Election Department. If you haven’t changed your address you may be able to vote at your old address. Call your local election department.

You have three options:

  1. Register in a Party: You may register to vote in one of the three parties in Massachusetts who have qualified for official party status–Democrat or Republican.
  2. Register with No Party Affiliation: In Massachusetts, you may list yourself as “Unenrolled” which means you do not have a party designation. Remember that you will still have the option to vote in a major party primary (e.g., Democrat or Republican).
  3. Another “Political Designation”: You can also choose from a party that is not considered an official party in Massachusetts. Like “Unenrolled” status, if you choose a separate party affiliation, you will still have the option to vote in a major party primary.

Being unenrolled in Massachusetts means that you are registered to vote but not a member of a party. You may still vote in a Democratic or Republican primary without affecting your “unenrolled” status.  “Unenrolled” is commonly referred to as independent.

Yes. As a new citizen, you may register to vote after the deadline. Go in person to the Election Department at City Hall up until 4 PM on the day before the election. You must bring your dated naturalization papers for them to copy. (MGL Chapter 51, Section 50)

On a voter registration form you are required to provide:

  1. Name First Name. Middle Initial or Name. Last Name. Other- Jr. III etc.
  2. Former name if you are changing your name.
  3. Current street address and Apt # for your voter registration. No PO Boxes.
  4. Mailing address if you use a Post Office Box.
  5. Birth date
  6. Party affiliation. “Unenrolled” for no party.
  7. Old registration address if you were registered before.
  8. Date
  9. Signature
  10. An identification number: Your Driver’s License # or the last four digits of your Social Security #. If you don’t have these, write “None”.

Phone Number… or information that does not apply to you like change of name or an old address if this is your first time registering.

Only in certain circumstances:

  1. First Time Voter–If you are a first time voter who registered through the mail.
  2. Didn’t Return Census Form–If you did not return your annual census form collected by every town and city in Massachusetts


  1. Photo ID is not required.  ID must include your name and the address at which you are registered to vote.
  2. Valid Photo Identification (Drivers License, State ID issued for Non-Drivers, Student ID, Passport)
  3. Utility Bill (gas, electric, cable, oil, water — no cell phone bills).
  4. Recent Bank Statement
  5. Government document like a paycheck stub.